Friday, October 12, 2007





The Fine Focus 06 exhibit opens today at the Rosenau Gallery at the Arts Center in Old Forge, New York. This two-year museum and art gallery tour is nearly complete (look for the Fine Focus link on my blog). This is my entry entitled: Faded Memories, Diagnosis, Alzheimer's.



When my Father was diagnosed with Alzheimer's I flew out from Tucson to San Diego to see him. I frantically photographed, attempting to capture that moment forever before the disease took over. This piece is based on my favorite photograph of my parents' that day. Although there is detail in my father's face, I drew a line in place of my mother’s features acknowledging the day when he would no longer recognize her. I stitched this freehand by taping the photograph to my sewing machine. It was such small detail work, it was difficult to draw and follow the lines, it was easier for me to do freehand. This isn't such a good photograph of the piece, but it is the only one I have, the top of the piece is cut off entirely. I am anxious to get it back next year so I can give it to my mom. My father passed June of this year.

1 comment:

QuiltingFitzy said...

Very nic Lauralyn, I'd be anxious to get it back as well.