Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Procrastinating



If you are like me and sometimes have trouble making or finding the time to do artwork, I would like to share one of my favorite quotes with you from a book called "Warrior Woman" by Tina Le Marque:

"The innate, perhaps thinly disguised selfishness of the artist has to come out like a billboard in flames.  'Leave me alone.  I can't talk now.  I'll call you in three weeks, but I think I'm going to forget.  Quit pulling on me.'  You have to do this if you want to get anything done.  The creative side has to be treated every bit as seriously as a 'straight job'.  It is very difficult to communicate the extreme urgency and wierd timing of creativity to the people in our lives that are living by more conventional timetables.  We have to work now  when stuff comes gooshing up.  Not from nine to five.  More like from midnight on September 16 to breakfast time after the next full moon.  'I won't be able to attend your wedding, the dinner party, the Tupperware party, my wake.  I am painting a still-life with a frozen mongoose and I have to work fast before he defrosts between sessions.  Otherwise, the stink is something awful'......Not everyone is capable of understanding this.  Ignore them, let them go, leave them and go paint.  Abandon them if you must, but not yourself."

I am writing this after midnight.  I really should be sleeping.  I am not even doing artwork.  I cleaned off my drafting table after posting a picture of it cluttered yesterday.  So, I have completed the first step of my Bookmark-a-Day for 365 Days project:  getting organized.  The blog is helping me hold myself accountable!! 
This photo was actually taken months ago.  It was a wonderful rainy afternoon and I spent the whole day creating.  It is supposed to rain later this week.  Perfect.  My drafting table is completely cleared off and waiting....................That is another mistake we sometimes make.  Waiting for the perfect time, the perfect setting or some inspiration.  Well, there is no better time than right NOW.

No comments: