Wednesday, December 12, 2012

What Would You Attempt if You Knew You Would Not Fail?

Here are some bookmarks that I made when I joined a group of artists in 2006 that committed to making art every day for a year.  This was my project from Day 1.  I was actually making them to trade with another artist friend anyway. I think I made it all the way to Day 9.  I did not meet the goal of this group, but I completed a lot of art work that year.  I was also a member of EDM (Every Day Matters) drawing group, as well as Illustration Friday and a few other online art groups.  I started a local Sketch Crawl group.  All of the groups were wonderful inspiration and got me into a good daily practice of creating art. 

Eventually I dropped all the groups, mainly just lurking as I started setting my own goals and deadlines to commit to submitting more work to juried shows.  As more of my work was accepted,  I  became a member of a local artists' group that met every month and another group of women artists' that met four times a year out-of-state.  It is important to learn to accept criticism.  Both of these groups allowed me to have my work critiqued.  I took classes as well as taught classes.  It is important to keep learning, even if you are self-taught.  Experiment.  Share.  Have fun.

The groups as well as classes I took from the Drawing Studio and elsewhere, helped me learn to make the time, be brave about my work and be willing to make mistakes.  I forced myself to work outside of my comfort zone whenever possible.
Talk about being brave, this is a contour drawing I posted for Blind Contour Friday group back in 2006.  It is a parrot on a cage next to a Boston Fern.  You can see some of my work on my other blog Sketch Monkey Blues.

So take classes, join groups, go outside of your comfort zone, be inspired, share your work...........do it every day. 
 

No comments: